Saturday 2 May 2015

My MAC Lipstick Collection

Hi everyone! Today I want to share my thoughts on the seven MAC lipsticks I have, as I don't know about you, but I find it interesting to see what's in people's collections. It goes without saying really but I'm not trying to show off or anything with this post. It's funny because seven of one brand is a lot for most people but for a beauty blogger it's probably quite conservative!

Mac lipsticks get a lot of hype in the beauty blogging world, and for a good reason - they do such a wide range of shades and formulas in usually excellent quality, with a pleasant light vanilla smell as a nice extra.

They are quite expensive at £15.50 each (and Mac keep increasing the price!) so I like to go for more unique shades that you might not be able to get a good dupe for on the high street. The lipsticks come in simple yet sleek black bullet-shaped packaging unless they're released in limited edition packaging for collections or in 'Viva Glam' red casing like Viva Glam Nicki below:

From left to right: Plumful, Show Orchid, Pink Popcorn, Moxie, Viva Glam Nicki, Ever Hip and Vegas Volt
Swatched in the same order - click for a closer look!
1. Plumful
This is a lovely plummy/rosy pink. It looks darker and therefore less wearable in the tube but it's actually very pretty and easy to wear. I really need to wear it more as this kind of shade really suits my skintone (although I think it would great on a variety of skintones) and is a great everyday lipstick. It is a lustre finish but has a very good colour payoff.

2. Show Orchid
I've raved about this before on the blog here. It's a stunning blue-toned fuchsia pink. I think it was my second MAC lipstick, and it's been worn on countless nights out. It has an amplified finish, which means it provides opaque coverage whilst not being drying like a Matte finish - I think that's my favourite of the bunch!

3. Pink Popcorn
I bought this when it was out in the limited edition 'Reel Sexy' collection about three years ago - it is quite a nice purpley-pink and quite unique in my collection. I think I'm guilty of forgetting about this one and I should definitely wear it more. It's nicely pigmented despite being a lustre finish, and it's a pretty and wearable way to wear a purple-tinged shade. A bold purple colour, Heroine, was released in the same collection and is permanent, but I didn't think it would suit me.

I think it particularly looks great layered over Benefit's Lollitint, another lilac lip (and cheek) colour, which I might do a review on soon! Out of all the lipsticks, this one wears off the soonest, but I think that's quite typical for lustre finishes.

4. Moxie
This is the only matte lipstick I have by Mac and another limited edition one, released in the 'Mac By Request' collection. It's a reddish pink that is very nicely pigmented. Matte shades are known to be quite drying but I think this one isn't too bad - but it's always a good idea to make sure your lips are well moisturised before applying.

5. Viva Glam Nicki
This is a yellow-toned bright pink with a hint of coral, and to be honest, I slightly regret buying this - I really wanted to like it, but both the colour and the formula are a bit 'off' on me, at least while I'm this pale. It's not awful but I can't help thinking someone else should own it who would love it far more than I do! It has a satin, semi-matte finish.

However it's not really a shame nor a waste of money that this lipstick was a bit of a miss, as when I bought this MAC donated my full £13.50 to their AIDS fund. I think it's great of a big brand like MAC to donate to charity. I don't think this is available anymore, but the Viva Glam Miley lipstick that's currently available looks gorgeous and is a great way to treat yourself whilst giving to charity :)

6. Ever Hip
This was the first MAC lipstick I ever bought so, as silly as this may sound, it has sentimental value! It's another limited edition one unfortunately, but hopefully MAC will be nice and re-release it in a collection again soon, or maybe even make it permanent. The closest permanent dupes, from what I can tell from swatches online, are probably either Flamingo or Coral Bliss. I wouldn't be surprised if there were very close dupes available from the high street though!

This is a beautiful coral-pink which I wear a lot in the Spring/Summer months. It does look better on tanned skin but it's still a nice colour to wear when pale, as it really perks up my face! It has a cremesheen finish which is very comfortable but does wear off fairly quickly. As you can see, it's the most worn shade in my collection.

7. Vegas Volt
This is the most recent purchase of the bunch, as I bought this duty free at the airport before I went on holiday to Spain last July. I'd misplaced Ever Hip and wanted a bright coral shade to go with a tan. I checked online and saw that it wasn't very similar to Ever Hip, so I can justify having both - it is a much darker, more orange-toned coral and therefore slightly harder for me to pull off - both shades definitely look better when my skin is warmer. It has an amplified finish that, like Show Orchid, provides full opacity whilst not being drying at all.

So that's my Mac lipstick collection - for my next purchase I would love to try either Creme Cup or Angel!

You can buy Mac lipsticks here.

I would love to know, what are your favourite Mac lipsticks?

Thanks for reading!

Sabrina xx

2 comments:

  1. Plumful is one of my favourite Mac lipsticks ever! As well as Velvet Teddy, you should try it if you like the 90s lip vibe. Moxie looks really nice though.

    emmatheakerx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I've heard a lot of good things about Velvet Teddy, definitely going to check that one out next time I'm at a counter! And yep Moxie is lovely, hopefully they will repromote it again soon xx

      Delete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik